Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A little thought on Brooks

I really like Geraldine Brooks. Even though she may be a "Gonzo journalist," has a feminist agenda, and may be slightly guilty of Orientalism, I find her book to be interesting and easy to read. I feel like the overall opinion of the class towards her is negative, but we can't expect every author to be completely unbiased when discussing such controversial and sensitive issues. The class needs to realize that regardless of whether or not she is a religious Jew, she may still be prone to the prejudice belief system of the Jews against the Muslims ( especially if her husband and his family feel that way). But I felt like she genuinely cared for the Muslim women. I mean this whole book is to try to raise awareness to the mistreatment of the women (whether they feel they are being mistreated or not), so obviously she is concerned.

1 comment:

Mary Jo Kietzman said...

Good points. We tended to be more critical than appreciative of Brooks' efforts to raise awareness. I also think the book is valuable because there are so many women suffering oppression in certain middle eastern cultures, and in the effort to understand and value the other, sometimes we lose sight of real suffering. I think Brooks tries to address that.

However, I liked how the class was able to identify the aspects of her book and her perspective that were orientalist. Their criticisms demonstrated how far we've come and how much has been learned this semester.